My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I have a tendency to unconsciously appropriate other peoples' affectations, leading me to say things like y'all.

Email me

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Nothing but time

Can someone tell me exactly where all the time goes? I mean, theoretically it's there, right?, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, but then somehow I find myself with more lists of Things I Didn't Do But Probably Should Have than I'd like to.

Particularly since I'm downright neurotic.

I know how to prioritize people.

So what the hell is going on? Is the answer to time in chocolate? Because I will eat chocolate if I have to in order to get things done.

Sometimes I think that it would be great to say, go for a run or do some yoga...but when is that supposed to happen exactly? In an average day I have to get Sophie ready for school (with which John is a big help, but still), get myself ready and out the door for work, be in said office for 8 hours*, run to Chelsea to recover child and bring her home*, then give her dinner and get in some time with her before bed.

We get home at about 7. She goes to bed at 8. I go to bed at 10ish...um, can someone explain to me the math that will allow for the miracle of expanding an hour into 2 or 3?

I feel totally worn out. How is a girl supposed to have time to take care of herself? Or exercise? Or shop for an engagement ring? How is a girl supposed to see her friends? Or go to movies? Or schedule playdates? For that matter, how is a girl supposed to just slow down, take it easy and not be a raging bitch for 5 minutes?**

*insert any errand that needs to be done including, but not limited to: grocery shopping, picking up dry cleaning, perusing the MAC counter at bloomingdales, running to NY Cake and Bake Supplies, browsing H&M, buying a banana, running to the liquor store for more shiraz, going to the restaurant next to Sophie's school for dinner, restocking hair-crap at Ricky's, avoiding Krispy Kreme Donuts, avoiding Ben & Jerry's, picking up prescriptions at local pharmacy, atm withdrawal just in case we're ordering out because we didn't go grocery shopping on the weekend (see previous post).

**John, please do not post a comment confirming that I am a raging bitch...I meant that only on the inside.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do possible errands include going to buy a banana? I thought those make you constipated.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

How flattering that someone is reading my blog...and remembering stuff! (john is that you?)

It's true, but I don't eat the bananas I buy...I give them away to very small hungry people. The whinier the better.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home