My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I have a tendency to unconsciously appropriate other peoples' affectations, leading me to say things like y'all.

Email me

Monday, March 20, 2006

One day at a time

The song Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John and Kiki Dee) was playing in the taxi on our way home on Saturday night. My immediate association was with the show One Day At a Time. Remember the episode in which Valerie Bertinelli plays Elton and Mackenzie Phillips plays Kiki? Is there anyone under 50 who knows what I'm talking about? I remember watching it in syndication every day and even then thinking that while it wasn't so good I couldn't really break the mind-meld either. At least, I think it was syndicated...jesus, I may have actually been watching the series itself, which makes me older than I think I am and a lot less cool.

John claimed that the show sounded familiar (after I'd named the characters, actors, laid out the plot and even threw in the detail about Snyder rolling his cigarette pack into his t-shirt sleeve), but I think he was only indulging me, thereby proving once again that he is the salt of the earth, because, frankly, if he'd just confessed to me that he was a chronic fan of One Day at a Time, I can safely say that I probably would have thrown myself out of the moving cab.

I'm relieved to report that further research proves that the show piloted the year I was born. Unfortunately, it ran for 9 years, which means that not only did I watch it, but I simultaneously watched back episodes in syndication too. I was also roughly 7 or 8 at the time.

According to TV.com, the show is ranked 8.2 by its community. The community, however, consists of two people and I am proud not to be one of them (obviously the only redeeming detail in this post). Of the four shows that TV.com recommends as similar I have seen every episode of three: Alice, All in the Family and Roseanne.

I bet you're thinking this makes me an even more fascinating person than you'd ever imagined possible. Am I right?

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Yes, I remember One Day at a Time very clearly! And watched all of the time...and I'm younger than you...so that should say something! LOL

4:34 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

I suppose it should, except we're both dorks. So now what?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, umm...hmmmm!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

Just remember when this comes back to haunt you that you had the option of remaining anonymous.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home