My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I have a tendency to unconsciously appropriate other peoples' affectations, leading me to say things like y'all.

Email me

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Is that a lamb shank or are you just thrilled to see me?

Last night we had Passover dinner with my ex. I made brisket for the first time...which is strange to me since I've been cooking for roughly 16 years now. I'm a big fan of brisket. Especially the brisket at Gahm Mi Oak*, which is sliced just thicker than paper, served cold and piled over with shredded scallion and red pepper flakes. Yum. I cooked my brisket in lots of red wine and veggies, then served it along with spinach and baby carrots and pearl onions. There was also, of course, matzoh ball soup, so for the first time in a very long time broke the carb ban in order to eat one of my favorite foods ever.** For dessert there were individual chocolate cheese cakes with an almond crust and raspberry sauce. Through the miracle of Splenda I have made cheese cake an acceptable indulgence in our starch-free home.

It was nice to be together as a family. It's an unusual situation we've established for ourselves, but it feels so good and makes me so happy that the three of us can come together in this way to share a child and to share holidays. The only downside is that sometimes Sophie gets cranky, because she doesn't have the undivided attention of each parent and is forced to deal with our frustration as she continually interrupts. Last night she was great. After an hour or so of trying without success to make herself the focus of the table, she gave up and started playing with her toys instead.

I love watching children play and Sophie's got an incredible imagination. None of us were prepared, however, for the shock of watching her pull Power Puff Girl Blossom out of her sister Buttercup's head***. It was a moment so creepy and mythic that it silenced us in mid-conversation; an effect that Sophie was subtle in noting.

I didn't take pictures like I was planning to, but John did manage to get this one of Sophie mind-melding with the t.v. before dinner:





*Which is only the best Korean food in NYC, located on 32nd street between 5th and 6th Avenue.

**I basically hold Josh of Carpathian Kitten Loss responsible, because after all of our banter about pancakes and maztoh-brie, what self-respecting Jewess wouldn't cave?

***For those of you as neurotic about detail as I am, the Blossom doll was a 5" plastic one and Buttercup is a backpack with the straps cut off. Blossom had gone missing a week ago.

6 Comments:

Blogger algimantas said...

I'm in fascination, Your blog,- there are intellectual and nice!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Irina said...

I wish that Russian and Lithuanian shared an alphabet, so that I could read your blog too. I love reading a commenter's blog when I can.

Thank you for your compliment!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Joshua said...

That's fair. I take full blame-not for the alphabet thing though, just the carbs.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

That's okay Josh, as my bloggernet crush, you are entitled to all of the blame.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Aw, ok, thanks. I guess I can't argue with that at all.

Also, I just realized now that you e-mailed me at the kittenloss e-mail address a while back. sorry I didn't reply, I almost never check it. and a real live romanian had written and invited me to her house for spiced wine. I really gotta start checking that thing more often.sigh.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

Chances are the Roumanian was just going to cook you like Hansel, you know because of the Jewish thing or else feed you to a goat...or a bear. Then again, maybe your luggage went to the wrong country because of some sort of email karma?

Looks like this will have to remain one of the world's unanswered questions. Much like the mystery of the tootsie pop. Can you believe that owl is still trying to figure out how many licks it takes?

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home