My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I have a tendency to unconsciously appropriate other peoples' affectations, leading me to say things like y'all.

Email me

Monday, April 03, 2006

Oh wait, I forgot to mention this

In my post seeking advice regarding the Sophie/grandmother speaking situation, I forgot to mention that the reason there are specific days delineated for my mother to call is that my ex and I have an incredibly equitable custody arrangement whereby Sophie is with her father every Wednesday night. We also alternate the weekend days, which makes them harder to predict.

So my "scheduling" of time (as anonymous puts it) isn't a control issue at all, just a practical solution, not to mention the only way I can avoid direct contact with her. I gave my mother a specific list of days when Sophie is here to talk to her in an attempt to facilitate the likelihood of their conversing.

As for Sophie's learning to give time to the people she loves, I just don't really see that as a problem. She is one of the most loving, compassionate and engaging children you're likely to meet. I don't think a lack of desire for phone talk can change or minimize that in any way. Her father, step-father and I are all like this: none of us likes to talk on the phone, so maybe it's genetic?

For the record, I encourage Sophie to talk to her grandmother constantly, but I can't make her do it.

And no, it doesn't make me happy when she doesn't feel like talking because it's a big pain in the ass to know that my mother is somewhere in Florida thinking more evil thoughts about my corruption of the next generation.

My question is how do I handle my mother...not Sophie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jeanna said...

Best wishes on this one, cutie...maybe "anonymous" was confused by thetitle of your post, "This is not about my mother" )

8:35 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

Thanks Jeanna, here's hoping it all works out?

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home