My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I have a tendency to unconsciously appropriate other peoples' affectations, leading me to say things like y'all.

Email me

Monday, May 01, 2006

Weekend up-date, including some things I learned about me

Starting the weekend off early, we went to the Gowanus Yacht Club last Thursday under the auspices of trivia night. Apparently Captain KnowItAll didn't actually know that it was a Thursday when he woke up that morning, because no trivia actually took place. We had a fun time anyway and here are pictures to prove it:

As you can see, we are drinking beer. We drank lots of beer that night in order to drown our woes over the lack of trivia. The most significant thing to notice about this photograph is that we are sitting.

This is Uncle TJ. He is the world's most perfect uncle because he is not actually related to us by blood. Sophie picked him out all by herself and she will be the first to tell you that she has impecable taste.

This lovely woman is Johnsmom, also known as Mom, also known as Gramma Lawwa. Here she is learning to use her camera so that she can take pictures of Sophie at the Botanic Gardens the following day.

This is the smooth and cool expression of a man contemplating his next beverage option.

John shows us all up by never letting his attention wane, even after the sun goes down and his belly is full of grilled meats.

We were also joined by dear sweet friend Sonesh, but by then too much beer and hotdogs had been consumed to operate the camera properly.

Friday night we went to Me Bar atop the La Quinta Hotel in Korea town to celebrate my ex's big 3-1. We ran into lots of people, toasted the birthday boy, and got into a little verbal scuffle on the way home that led to my disposing of all the alcohol in our apartment. It was a selfish, unfair move on my part, mainly because it was done out of my own need for control in my life. It was symbolic and expensive and even a bit histrionic, but it was what I needed right then.

Saturday we ran around all day shopping for jeans. I haven't bought a pair of jeans in years and I was ready to go high-end if it meant finding a really nice pair that fit well. What I have learned as a result is that my body is not of this planet because jeans do not exist that will actually fit onto it. It was extremely discouraging and I came away feeling amazingly fat. Fortunately, we stopped at Target where I bought two pairs of gauchos in my miracle fabric: cotton spandex. Now I can feel fat, but comfy.

We also decided that we are going to Greece. Now I have to lose some weight so that I can run around half naked with a lesser feeling of disgust. One thing that is important though is that while I'm desperate for some kind of quick fix, I'm not willing to starve or vomit anymore. This leaves me with only one odious possibility: exercise.

Alas! On Sunday we bought bikes. They are brown and ugly. They are his and hers matching. His has a little Chips style mirror on the handle bar, hers will soon have a straw basket on the front. And I am so fucking stoked!! I love my new bike. I haven't owned a bike since I was twelve and to have just randomly come across these while we were walking in the hood feels like kismet.

Is it too much to expect the bike to solve all of my problems?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Caroline said...

Yay for histrionic but necessary! I almost can't feel I've had any sort of catharsis unless I've rashly chucked out something expensive. Here here!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Irina said...

Both the word "chuck" and "catharsis" are among my favorites in the English language.

:)

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home